Click Here For More Blog Posts

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Thinking outside the box

Over the years since i've been diagnosed, I've come to realize that honestly conventional medicine isn't the only answer to illness, sometimes you must take your health into your own hands, meaning doing your own research and finding your own answers if you feel like you aren't benefiting from anything you're trying. Sometimes alternative medicine can be really helpful, but as I say to everyone "to each his own." It's your body, do what you wish with what you have and if this is something you're interested in than I am happy to share what I know.


I just want to make it clear that I'm not saying that you should buy into every holistic treatment out there, because I know scams do exist and they unfortunately feed off many of those in desperation, especially those with chronic illness like those with IC. So it is imperative that you take precaution with every method you do choose to try and research it throughly before proceeding. But don't close off every holistic approach because you have the thinking "one's a scam they're all a scam" perspective. Because you may just find something that changes your whole perspective of things and your life with IC, so keep an open mind. Essentially, it goes along with the whole trial and error method in general.
What I am saying is, if you want to take a holistic approach to your IC in some aspects or perhaps all together that is surely an approach you can make, IF that is something you're comfortable with. I mean changing your diet is already a huge leap in the right direction! But do make sure that you are being careful like I said and discuss it with your Dr. if you're under the care of a physician.

When I think in terms of holistically, I think the whole body and often times we fail to realize that when we are struggling with an ailment, it is not only affecting the problematic area, but us as a whole. Its about becoming more in tune with your body


Most people think that not even money should stop you from bettering your health, but for some people money/insurance is a HUGE issue. So that is also a reason why I am providing this. I am not a doctor and am only suggesting these as I am an IC patient myself who is always looking for more options.

So with that said, here is a list of supplements that can be bought OTC and a list of some alternative treatments that have been said to help with the symptoms of IC. Most are pretty decent in $$$

Desert Harvest: This is a supplement that has been around for quite some time. I have heard many people rave about it and just recently I have decided that I am going to give it go, thanks to some positive feedback from Kathy:)

I will provide the link to it here: desert harvest aloe

L-Arginine: This is a supplement that some have seen some positive results in their symptoms of IC. I have personally tried it, but didn't notice much different. But everyone is different. It is not very expensive and can be OTC or you can order it online. The ICN sells it & explains its helpfulness in terms of IC.


Marshmallow Root Capsules: This is another supplement that is said to help with IC, something to do with the membranes in the bladder. Try your local health food store.

Cysta-Q:  this is said to be "like" elmiron, but the "natural" version, whatever it is I have heard some people say it helps. If it looks like something you want to try, Go for it!



Here is a link to the site that manufactures it, they offer a free 30 day supply & you only pay s&h so that's not too much of a budget breaker right?


Bladder Q:  I have heard that this is somewhat like elmiron, but the "natural" version, but don't quote me on that. regardless some have said it has helped them. Link here: The natural bladder

Coconut Oil:  I recently got a lesson in Coconut oil and how it is actually the best kind of oil to cook with vs. using vegetable oil because vegetable oil is said to be pro-inflammatory, whereas this is not. With IC causing inflammation, some say this could be used a something along with other approaches to combat health issues within your body.


Acupuncture: I actually did acupuncture treatments for my IC/Fibro for about 7 weeks, I did notice some slight differences, but unfortunately my insurance would only cover so much. Its worth a try if you are into this type of approach. Worst that could happen?  A small, harmless poke :)


My Experience
















Yoga: Now you're probably thinking exercise? What? I can't exercise with IC, well there is a woman who has come out with a video designed specifically for those with pelvic floor issues and IC. She incorporates exercises that have the limitations of IC & PFD in mind. Here's a youtube video on it, explaining it. You can buy it at the IC Network Shop: Buy New Dawn Video

Vitamin D: there have been several studies out there about  stating that there is a correlation between low vitamin D & pelvic floor disorders. Some people have reported thatby supplementing their Vitamin D, they noticed some improvement. This is something that I have personally noted as my levels were extremely low. I suggest going to your Medical Dr. and getting your levels checked before supplementing though, just a word of advice.
Here is a link to a study about it:Vitamin D Study

Tumeric: there are several IC patients that I have talked with who have said that this spice/supplement has helped them. May be worth a try, I don't know much about it but you may decide to look into it!

Meditation: Some are firm believers in taking time out of the day to meditate and focus on relieving their pain through various breathing exercises. Some swear by this, I mean it can't hurt to try right? There are some CD's that the IC network shop sells


As far as helpful literature, I will say that I did find one in particular quite resourceful. I read it a few years back, it is a book written by an IC patient herself, Catherine Simones "Along the Healing Path." In her book she mentioned many holistic methods, which I found quite interesting. She also has a few other books that are worth reading.


*Disclaimer: I am not a substitute for a medical doctor and do not endorse any of the products listed above as I am an IC patient myself. All treatments and medications/supplements should be discussed with your medical doctor.*

No comments:

Post a Comment