Click Here For More Blog Posts

Saturday, May 5, 2012

The Secrets We Carry...

It happens to all of us on a occasion or perhaps daily, where we just find ourselves completely down in the dumps and not ready to take on the day. But often we don't talk about them, we keep them to ourselves...

Trust me, I had a lot of these days and I still have them. When you have Interstitial Cystitis it's really difficult to stay strong all the time because it wears you down, but you have to realize it's just in that moment that you feel weak, it's not that you're weak all the time. I mean we are all entitled to a day where we let the tears flow and let go, so just know it's okay to have breakdowns once in awhile. But also remember that you can't stay down forever, you have to regain your strength and keep going because it is in each and everyone of us to be strong.

Just Remember
For me, it is in these moments where I turn everything over to God and know that my faith is what is going to get me through. There are just some things that are out of my control and that only God can help me with. I find strength in prayer alone most of the times.

I often meditate on this verse:

Philippians 4:13 "I can do all this through him who gives me strength."

I also turn to my support system for comfort when I am having a difficult time. I've learned that its important to be be open with how you are feeling. I know that its easy to isolate yourself, but you don't have to because there are many who are waiting to lift you up. So if you are ever find yourself struggling, pick up the phone call a friend or call one of your friends with IC. Don't be afraid to reach out to someone. Even if you can't force yourself to call, write an email, text or message me or another one of the members. The email can be found at the bottom of this blog. We are all in this together and support is key through getting through this. Whether we you need prayers or just need someone to listen, remember you're never alone...

If you are struggling with depression on a regular basis, sometimes it helps to seek out counseling because it helps to have someone to bounce things off of who isn't going to judge you. I know that I have been told this many times over the years since I was diagnosed and I can personally say that it is helpful. Sometimes even friends and family aren't enough to completely "cope" mentally with the constant pains of a chronic illness. Contact your insurance provider for a referral for a mental health professional or contact your local mental health department if you're uninsured. Depression is more common than you think and it's NOT something you should be ashamed of. Most people in their lifetime deal with a bout of it atleast once or twice in their life.


Attention: if you're having suicidal thoughts, please contact someone, there is support available nationwide & locally anytime you need it. Your life is meaningful and you can make it through this journey despite the challenges you may face. There are people who love you and God loves you. 

Christians are people too, no one is perfect and you don't have to feel alone with these thoughts. Everyone struggles, especially if you have chronic illness. Sometimes the pain gets the best of us and we think we can't go another day, but the truth is this is only temporary, these feelings. Life is worth all its struggles.


If you can't reach out to someone you know and are in this state, reach out here...

Nationwide: 1-800-SUICIDE, 1-800-272-TALK

Local: Oklahoma Dept. of Mental Health Reachout 1-800-522-9054
Heartline: (405) 848-CARE (2273) (Servicing OKC Area)

Below is a few links providing more information about Mental Health & Chronic Illness:

Sometimes we just have to let go of  the secrets we carry and ask for a helping hand...


ICHopeOK@yahoo.com


No comments:

Post a Comment