Click Here For More Blog Posts

Thursday, April 26, 2012

The "IC Diet" Explained...

You're probably wondering right at this moment what exactly this "IC Diet" really is that your Dr has mentioned to you.

 Well to sum it up, it simply means NO ACIDIC foods.



At first glance, the IC Diet may seem a bit intimidating and hard to follow, but you just have to experiment for a bit. My best suggestion is to start with the elimination diet, which means starting out with only a few foods group and slowly adding others back in. The best way is to keep some sort of journal so you can keep track of those foods that are "OK" and those that are a big "NO."

You can use a template like this : Sample Template

 This diet is not only do-able, but is extremely crucial in avoiding unnecessary flares. Why spend more time in pain, when you can eat good foods and feel better right? It's al about eating foods that are soothing and "healthy" for the bladder, I kind of like to look at it like my bladder's on a "diet" :)


 
For more information on the elimination diet please click here: Elimination Diet "Cheat Sheet"
 
Now not every single person is going to have the same reaction to foods, I have on many occasions talked to IC patients who can tolerate caffeine, while others could not. I have also met some individuals who are not diet sensitive, but I highly recommend following the IC diet if you’re newly diagnosed to see if this makes a difference in your symptoms. If it helps than atleast you know that you're doing something to help yourself with the symptoms, if not than atleast you tried right?

 Now if you’re one of those IC patients that can’t stay away from coffee or acidic foods, there is a product known as Prelief that helps alkalize acidic foods. You take it before your meals. This can be found at your local Walgreens or Walmart near the antacids. For more information on this product click here: Prelief

 The IC Network provides a great diet list that is updated regularly that gives you an idea of what foods are considered “safe," those to eat with caution and lastly those to avoid at all costs, meaning you would most likely end up in a food-induced flare.

Click here for the list: ICN Food List (2012)

There is also an app now available at the App store on iphones that I use, I am not sure if you can download it on others, but you can try finding it. Its called ICN Food List. I will provide a link for more information about it. Now it does cost 99 cents, but I think it's the best 99 cents i've spent because it makes shopping on the go much easier when you're unsure of whether or not a specific food is going to make you flare or not. If you're anything like me than you will worship this app, not only because you can make sure you are staying on track but you can show those around you that don't suffer what you can eat!

Click here for more info: ICN Food List App

There is also a few books out there written by some IC patients. You can find one of them here: Confident Choices

As I get this blog further up and running, I will start to posts some recipes that I have found from others with IC and ones I have. Also feel free to post in the comment section if you would like to share one of your favorite "IC Friendly" dishes!

*Disclaimer: I do not endorse any of the products listed, I just am an IC patient myself who has found help with them*

No comments:

Post a Comment