Click Here For More Blog Posts

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Arm Yourself


As an IC/CPP patient it is extremely important to arm yourself with as much information as possible from the start to obtain the best outcome with the disease. I like to call it "becoming your own best advocate."

Over the years, I have compiled a list of helpful sites that have helped me on my journey with this disease.

From understanding the disease, to the diet, to things you can try to help with the pain. I know they helped me and i'm sure they will benefit anyone, especially if you're a newly diagnosed IC patient. Click away!

ICHelp.org

Finding the right Dr. for you "handout"  (this is a really good handout about what questions you should ask your Dr. when it comes to IC, finding a compassionate dr. etc)


Treatment Options

AUA Treatment Guidelines  (This is an extremely helpful pdf document that I would suggest printing out, it goes into great detail of how the AUA has combated misdiagnosis and lines out treatments for a patient)

IC Diet List

IC Survival Guide  (I personally own this book and found it very helpful when I was first diagnosed)

I have to add this link as well. This woman sells these heating pads that are absolutely adorable and work amazing, she has her own etsy account. I will provide you with a link to her shop:

HomeGrownPillows 

Some may chuckle at this next one just because of the name, but when you have IC knowing where the restroom is a must. So all you iphone users with IC, you might just be as thrilled as me when I found this. Meet "Whizzer" the app.

Restroom App 

Another helpful finding, which can be a lifesavor in your wallet is a Restroom card, can you imagine being at a local business and being refused to use their facilities? Perhaps this could help you out! Although it does come with a price, $9.99, it might be useful for you. If you're interested, here's the link Restroom Card

Holistic Treatments that are said to help with the symptoms of IC for that prefer a more "natural" route. (Underlined words are clickable links)

Alternative Treatments 



Marshmallow Root Tea (soothing to the bladder, I have been able to find this at Nature Grocers in Norman, I didn't do well with the capsules)

Tumeric 

Also helpful is the monthly newsletter that you can have emailed from the ICA. Click here to sign up: IC Newsletters

Some of this information can double for Pelvic Floor Dysfunction along with CPP.

But here is a list of other sites that deal with these specific conditions including, but not limited to Endometriosis, Pelvic Floor Dysfunction, vulvodynia, vulvar vestibulitis, Pudental Nerve Entrapment (PNE).

Endometriosis

Pelvic Pain

Pure Hope

CPP

Vulvodynia (support network)

VV

PCOS


*Disclaimer: All the links provided are for informative purposes only as I am not a Medical Doctor. Any and all medical treatments or medications should be discussed with your medical doctor.*

No comments:

Post a Comment