Click Here For More Blog Posts

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Keeping Hope in Your Heart: Lindsay

I'd like to share yet another inspiring story from a fellow IC and Pelvic Floor Dysfunction fighter. Lindsay thank you for allowing me to put your struggles and words of encouragement out there.


It all started when I was about 17, I am 21 now. I had these constant urges to go to the bathroom and I had pain all the time. It felt like my bladder was never being fully emptied. Everyone would make fun of me for going to the bathroom so much. They all thought it was in my head, even my mom.

Lindsay Danielle
 
It made me upset because no one understood what it felt like as I had to plan my every move around the bathroom. I knew It wasnt in my head this pain was real and I needed to see a doctor. We saw one doctor who made no sense at all and didn't help me at all. Then we saw another one who put me right to sleep to fill my bladder and see what was going on, which upon examination she found small hemorrhages, known as petechia or pinpoint bleeding popping from the bladder walls. And during the surgery the instrument she used to fill my bladder popped out half-way of filling my bladder. 



The doctor knew right away that I had Interstitial cystitis. I tried a few medications for a while, but nothing seemed to work well. It was starting to hurt a lot at night and was affecting my sleep. Especially in college and I was three hours away from home! But I didn't want to let this get in the way of my education since I always wanted to go away and my mom was so nervous to send me. 

On an average day I would go to the bathroom around 27 times. As I continued to use medicines, cocktails and see other doctors, I noticed my bladder getting a little better. As I continued my research on this I came across pelvic floor dysfunction and thought "wow I have all those symptoms," so I called a physical therapist. She was great and she could tell right away my muscles had been in spasm for so long that it caused my hip to move out of place, which was also causing a lot of pain.

She helped me tremendously. She taught me home stretches and different things I can do to help the muscles. I have stopped seeing her because I now can do everything on my own and have not been on a single medicine in months. 

Although the pain has calmed down the urges have not. Some days are worse then others some days I'm just so busy that I forget I even have to go. Certain foods are a killer, such as tomatoes they kill my bladder. The acid makes it feel like it's exploding! I miss having a slice of pizza so much, but it is not worth the pain at all, therefore I simply learned to stay away from all tomato products. 

Although this disease has been a complete inconvenience in my life, I am so thankful that I researched things to help myself. I also didn't let it take over me and I continued to do regular things with the hope that eventually it would be manageable.

Everyday is a different day but I continue to hope for the best. I am in charge of my body and only I know best. So when something's wrong don't wait seek for help!! I hope to spread more word about this inside killer disease and hope that eventually there will be a cure for all that are struggling. 

Thank you for allowing me to share my story with you and always keep hope in your heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment