Click Here For More Blog Posts

Monday, May 7, 2012

IC may not be the only culprit...

Writing this particular blog probably would have NEVER been something I would have openly discussed about as I was such a modest girl growing up, but having been afflicted with IC i've had to learn over the past 5 years to become more comfortable with my body and what I suffer with. So I understand if this post makes you uncomfortable, so I apologize in advance, but finally having the courage to speak up about it is a sign that I am overcoming some of my insecurities.

Therefore...

If you have IC, you've likely heard of the term PFD and if you haven't, you may want to ask your Dr. about it to check to see if you have any of the symptoms of the condition. PFD, which stands for Pelvic Floor Dysfunction is a disorder that affects the muscle in and around the pelvic floor. In other words, the muscles surrounding the front, back and sides of your pelvis. These muscles are what ultimately support your bladder, uterus or prostate, rectum and urethra and vagina (if you're a woman).  If you are affected with the disorder it can cause a variety of issues, including that of pain, which creates a challenge even more due to the pain of IC.

To put it in laymans terms pelvic floor dysfunction in an IC patient is just a vicious cycle, meaning when the pelvic floor muscles that are supporting the bladder are in constant spasm, they cause the bladder to be irritated and vice versa. Interstitial Cystitis along with Pelvic Floor Dysfunction creates a never-ending battle when trying to put a halt to the symptoms. But usually when you can get one under control, the other starts to respond positively.

For most dealing with Pelvic Floor, the first line of treatment that your Dr. will most likely recommend is PT or physical therapy. It here where a variety of methods are used that involve a hands-on approach. Some are firm believers in a vigorous approach through physical therapy in conjunctions with a few medications, which seems to benefit many sufferers. But I guess it just really depends on your doctor. For me personally I have been offered a wide list of treatments which I will list.
*Biofeedback
* Light exercises tailored to the needs of a PFD patient
*Tens Therapy
*Trigger point release
*Trigger point injections
*Muscle relaxers
*Vaginal Suppositories

If you think you may suffer from this disorder, it's important to discuss your concerns with your medical doctor so that your condition does not worsen and can be treated.

Symptoms of PFD include, but are not limited to:

*Spasming in the pelvic floor muscles.
*Difficulty voiding which is often accompanied by urgency and frequency
*Retention
*Low backache
*Painful intercourse
*Constipation 

For more info please visit the link: Pelvic Floor Dysfunction
PFD

Last year I found an interesting article about the prevalance of PFD in those with low vitamin D. For me personally, I noticed that when my D levels were low, I felt like my pain was more exacerbated because when I started taking my prescribed supplement of Vit. D my pain felt like it slowed down some.

Honestly, researchers may be on to something, regardless it's always good to talk to your Dr. before you begin taking any supplements just to make sure you aren't over supplementing.


 Here is a link to a two Physical Therapists who deals with these issues in the OKC area:


A few good reads that discuss pelvic floor dysfunction that I recommend reading.


Disclaimer: I am not a medical doctor, all treatments and medications should be discussed with your medical dr. This information is only for educational purposes and are the opinions of my own as I am a sufferer of both IC & PFD.

No comments:

Post a Comment