Click Here For More Blog Posts

Friday, April 27, 2012

A few of my favorite things

I thought for today's blog that i'd list a few of my favorite "IC Friendly" things, whether it be a food, item or activity. I think I will start off with 10. Feel free to add yours in the comment section :)

1. Flaxseed heating pad (I made this). This little addition is a staple in my house. When I have the typical "IC Belly" goin' on it seems to help with the inflammation



2. Vanilla milkshakes. Usually when i'm in a really bad flare I try to find something soothing for my bladder, this usually does the trick.



3. Honeycrisp apples. Since I discovered these at Whole Foods, I can't seem to break the habit. It's a perfectly healthy snack with a bit of PB for protein. They don't seem to bother me, but you can try Gala or Fuji apples if you're concerned about a flare.



4. Warm baths or showers. These always seem to help when I am in one of those flares when I can barely move.



5.Rice Chex. I could seriously live off this stuff, needless to say it's a staple in my house.




6. Support from my friends & family. I don't know where I would be without them. 

"Don’t walk behind me, I may not lead. Don’t walk in front of me, I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend"


7. Vanilla Rooibos Tea. This tea is great, especially in the winter time. I like this brand, but you can try others just make sure its CAFFEINE free. I am going to experiment chilled!

 8. My mom, my biggest cheerleader, my best friend.


9. Compassionate Doctors and nurses. I can't tell you how many medical professionals i've encountered in the past 5 years who made me feel like I wasn't worth treating and insinuated that it was "all in my head." It wasn't those professionals wiping my tears or giving me hope, it was my mom fighting for me. Thankfully today,I have a team of doctors currently who treat me like a person. If you ever have doubts in an IC patient, just imagine yourself in mine or another's shoes just for a day. Your life would surely change wouldn't it? Those small things in life such as walking, driving or even being able to work wouldn't be taken for granted would they?




10. I saved the best for last. My faith has grown so much since I was first diagnosed, without it I don't think I would be as strong as I am. It is knowing that God is with me every step of the way that keeps me going.



No comments:

Post a Comment